21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: James Bolen
This week's '21 Things You Might Not Know About Me' features Cable businessman James Bolen. James recently announced his intention to run for Wisconsin’s 25th Senate District. You might have known that already. But here are 21 things that you might not have known about James Bolen.
- I was born in Park Falls
- My Grandfather and Father were also named James, so I guess technically I’m James Bolen III.
- I graduated from Winter High School in 1986
- I have 1 brother and 4 sisters.
- I come from big families. My Dad had 11 siblings and my mom had 9.
- My wife Heather is from Spooner. Her father Jon McKinney was a local dentist.
- I am a diver. I hold multiple SCUBA certificates including advanced open water, ice diving and rescue diver.
- I love all types of fishing. My oldest son Matt is currently getting me more into fly fishing.
- I was a member of the Bayfield County Diver Rescue Team. Sadly, I’ve helped to recover several victims of drowning and one helicopter crash.
- .I love bow hunting! I don’t get to enjoy it as much as I’d like to, but I took my biggest buck ever with my bow.
- I serve on the Governors Council on Tourism. We advise the Dept. of Tourism on their 13-million-dollar annual marketing campaigns.
- I was a sports broadcaster in Missouri before moving back to Wisconsin.
- I broke my leg running in a cross country meet in high school.
- My wife and I have three children. Matt is a Junior at Northland College, Katelyn is 16, and Jon is 13.
- I am the chairman of the states Sports Marketing Committee. Under the Dept. of Tourism, we work to market the state and its destinations to major sporting event rights holders.
- I am on an insulin pump. I have been an insulin-dependent diabetic for 23 years.
- I lost a game of darts to a blind person. In 2015 we hosted the International Paralympic Committee Nordic Skiing World Championships. During some free time, I was playing darts with members of Team USA and one of their blind skiers, Kevin Burton, hit a bullseye and beat me. They never let me live that down.
- I flew on an airplane with Mohammed Ali. I went to college in Michigan and flew on a small plane out of Battle Creek home. We got to speak briefly while waiting to board.
- In 2016 our area hosted an event known as Junior Nationals. I was one of the live broadcasters calling the action. On day 2 of the event, our broadcast was the fourth most-watched broadcast in the world!
- I was a beekeeper but last year I developed an allergy to bee stings and almost died.
- For the past 20 years, my wife and I have managed the Lake Owen Resort in Cable.
If you would like to do a '21 Things You Might Not Know About Me' segment, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on Facebook at Facebook.com/SawyerWire.