21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: John Yackel
Editor's Note: 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me is a weekly segment that our parent site, DrydenWire.com, publishes every Wednesday, and we will be doing the same going forward here on SawyerWire.com. It is intended to be a light-hearted post where the community gets a chance to learn more about people they may already know, but didn't know that! If you would like to be featured in an upcoming 21 Things, or have a recommendation for someone you would like to see featured, email Ben Dryden at email@example.com.
This week's 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me features Sawyer County Judge, John Yackel. This was originally published on DrydenWire.com last fall before we launched in our website in November but thought it would be a great kickoff to our 21 Things!
- I am from Hayward and graduated from Hayward High School in 1992.
- My grandfather had a cranberry marsh and I spent many summers working in the bogs and learning how to be a farmer. I miss driving a tractor.
- I am an avid reader of American History and the American Space Program. I memorized all of the Presidents and the Gettysburg Address in 2nd Grade and attended Space Camp when I was in 7th Grade.
- I graduated from the University of Minnesota with a BA. I majored in political science and minored in History. I graduated from Marquette University Law School in 2000.
- My wife, Traci, is from Wausau. We met on a lunch date with a mutual friend in 2000. We married in 2003.
- I am the father of 3 sons. Two step-sons ages 24 and 20 and my youngest is 4.
- I practiced law in the Wausau area from 2000 until 2013. In 2013 I moved back to Hayward and was the Assistant District Attorney for Sawyer County and was elected Sawyer County Circuit Judge in 2015.
- I am not a gambler but I love horse racing. I look forward to the Kentucky Derby every year.
- I bought my first Harley on a Friday and practiced over the weekend and passed my motorcycle test on Monday.
- I love and hate watching news television.
- I miss my father terribly. He was my best friend and mentor. He died in 2014.
- I usually wear blue jeans under my judicial robe.
- I prefer to spend my vacations right here in Sawyer County and enjoy the natural beauty around me. My motto is “I live where I vacation.”
- I am a beer snob: I only drink Miller Lite, unless the beer is free.
- I love grilling chicken and steaks.
- My wife and I collect vinyl records and have an old stereo system that sounds awesome!
- I eat a bowl of oatmeal and a fried egg every morning for breakfast.
- I bring my wife a cup of coffee every morning in bed.
- Being a parent is the most difficult and rewarding job in the world.
- I care deeply about my community and the people who live here. I can relate to most people that appear in court more than people may realize.
- I love my job. It is a great responsibility and I am humbled by the trust the community has placed in me.
Did you learn anything new about Judge Yackel? Let us know by commenting on our Facebook page.
If you would like to be featured in an upcoming 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me, email Ben Dryden at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: Brian Cole
- Important Reminders for Voters about the February 20 Spring Primary
- 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: K9 Trace
- 20 Things You May Not Have Known About Wisconsin
- Natural Connections: 'The Great Migration of Miniscule Things'
- LCO Tribal Judge Speaks to HS Students About Treaties and Sovereignty
- LCO Behavioral Health Answers Questions About Fentanyl
- Fourth Graders Learn About Upcoming Pint-Size Hero Blood Drive
- Latest Trails Report and Fun Facts About Snowmobiling in Sawyer County