Cable Area Chamber and Birkie Partner Up to Host Gitchi Gami Games
The Cable Area Chamber of Commerce announced this past week that they are partnering with the American Birkebeiner Foundation to host the Gitchi Gami Games, an Olympic-style competition of cross-country skiing for young skiers from around the U.S. The event will be held the weekend of January 19-21st.
“The games were the brain child of Tony Wise and led to the creation of the World Cup,” the chamber announced on its Facebook page. “About 450 of the top young cross-country skiers from the U.S. will be in Cable at the new Birkie start area for two days of competition.”
The American Birkebeiner Foundation announced they are hosting a Junior National Qualifier event, the Gitchi Gami Games are the second weekend of racing in the event series of 2018.
“The JNQ series is governed by Central Cross-Country Skiing (CXC) and encourages young athletes in the U16, U18, and U20 age divisions to enjoy cross-country skiing and develop their skills, whether they are new to the sport, high school skiers, aspiring junior skiers who hope to compete at the top national and international levels, or are somewhere in between,” the Foundation announced. “Events mix Olympic-style competition with elements of learning and fun for all levels – from beginner racers to those with International experience.”
This event is a Super JNQ and results will be scored for both the Midwest and Great Lakes Junior National team points lists. The race is also a CCSA and NCAA qualifier.
The Cable Area Chamber of Commerce said to make plans to stop out and see the races or better yet, sign up to volunteer. Simply go to http://www.birkie.com/ski/events/gitchi-gami-games/ to sign up.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Special Legislation for Town of Cable Clears the Senate
- (Video) Birkie International Bridge Will Span 4 Lanes Over Hwy 63 in Hayward
- Please Help us Welcome our Newest Advertising Partner: Cabinet Consultants
- 2018 Winter Area Calendar of Events
- HAMH Becomes a State Recognized Coverdell Stroke Care Partner
- Cable Man Charged for Meth in Sawyer Faces Multiple Domestic Abuse Charges in Bayfield
- Warm Temperatures Temporarily Closed Birkie Bridge at Super Bowl Live
- Birkie's International Bridge Is Up and Ready for the Super Bowl!
- Trails in Great Condition and Area Lakes are Staked
- Hayward Hospital and Peoples Bank to Host Blood Drive