Despite One of Lowest Ranks in the State, Sawyer County Employment Rate is Up
The Department of Workforce Development (DWD) released the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates of unemployment statistics for counties in Wisconsin, and despite a much better unemployment rate for Sawyer County this year over 2016, the county dropped from 58 to the 68th highest rate out of 72 counties in the state from the month of October to November.
Sawyer County had a rate of unemployment at 5.5 percent in November of 2016 and that number had made a solid gain over the year and lowered to 3.4 percent for the same month in 2017, but then increased to 4.1 percent in November of 2017.
Statewide, the release of the November 2017 local rates follows last week’s release of BLS monthly estimates showing a preliminary seasonally adjusted unemployment rate of 3.2 percent in Nov. 2017, down from 3.4 percent in October 2017.
The data also showed that the state added a significant 40,600 total non-farm jobs and 42,900 private sector jobs from Nov. 2016 to Nov. 2017, with a significant year-over-year gain of 16,900 manufacturing jobs.
“Wisconsin is working,” Governor Walker said. “More men and women went to work so far in 2017 than ever before in our history and unemployment claims are at their lowest levels in 30 years. With unemployment near historic lows and businesses hiring across our state, we will continue to focus on worker training initiatives as we move into 2018.”
Sawyer County was one of 24 out of 72 counties that saw a rise in unemployment from the month of October to November in 2017. The remaining counties saw a decrease in unemployment or they stayed the same.
The Wisconsin unemployment rate dropped from 4.1 percent in Dec. of 2016 to 3.2 percent in Nov. of 2017.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Sawyer County Snowmobile ATV Alliance Trail Report
- Winter Weather Advisory for Sawyer County
- Man Charged With Sexual Assault of Child Under 13 in Sawyer County
- Sawyer Co. ADA Aaron Marcoux 1 of 3 Finalists for Barron Co. DA Position
- Bolen to Run Against Bewley for State Senate
- Marge Kelsey to Run for Sawyer County Clerk of Court
- HAMH Becomes a State Recognized Coverdell Stroke Care Partner
- Sawyer County Sheriff Department Warrant List - 2/8/18
- Sawyer County Snow Report
- 4th OWI Charges Filed After Sawyer Co. Deputy Stops Vehicle Going 25 Over