First Snow Day of The Year for Hayward and LCO Schools
The first snow storm of the season had many area kids waking up today wondering if they would get their first snow day of the year, and, with several inches blanketing the Northland and winds gusting to 40 mph this morning, Hayward and LCO students will get a day off.
The LCO Ojibwe K-12 School and Hayward have both cancelled classes today. Birchwood School District will start two hours late.
The overnight snow storm began around 5:00 p.m. last night as rain, heavy fog and a rare December thunderstorm. Around 10:00 p.m. the temperatures dropped and the rain turned over to snow.
The Winter Weather Advisory for Sawyer County remains in effect until 9:00 a.m. this morning with snow and blowing snow occurring. The 40 mph wind gusts will make for poor visibility at times.
If you have to travel this morning, plan for slippery road conditions during your morning commute.
By the time the winter weather passes, some areas can expect up to five inches of snow and cold temperatures will remain all week. Tuesday’s high temperature is forecasted to be 20 degrees and temperatures will remain under 20 degrees throughout the week.
More snow is expected after midnight tonight with less than an inch possible.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Why Choose Spooner & Hayward Physical Therapy and Wellness? It's as Easy as ABC
- (Video) Birkie International Bridge Will Span 4 Lanes Over Hwy 63 in Hayward
- Jury Trial Set for Hayward Man Charged in Prescription Drug Case
- Hayward Woman Facing Charges of 4th Offense OWI With a Child in Vehicle
- Hayward Man Arrested for Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence, 5th Offense
- Hayward Man Charged With Sexual Assault of Underage Child
- Rep. Edming Backs Increased Funding For Rural Schools
- 2 Hayward Women Charged Following Alleged Burglary of LCO Convenience Store
- 3rd Annual Hockey Day this Saturday in Hayward
- Hayward Students Took Center Stage at Solo & Ensemble Presentation in Spooner