Hayward Man Convicted on His 4th OWI
A Hayward man has been sentenced to 330 days in the county jail, to be served on ankle monitor, through the STOP program, following conviction for his 4th Operating While Intoxicated offense.
Robert Moncel, 43, was found guilty in Sawyer County Circuit Court on Jan. 23, 2018. Moncel was given 2 days credit for time served and his drivers license was revoked for 33 months. He is to have Ignition Interlock Device (IID) for 33 months on any vehicle owned or operated and he was also fined $1,000, which his cash bond was applied.
According to the criminal complaint, Sawyer County deputies were dispatched to the area of Gorud Road and County Hill Road for a possible drunk driver who was “all over the road.” The caller said the vehicle had gone into the ditch on both sides of the roadway.
A responding deputy found Moncel sitting at the intersection waiting to turn onto County Hill Road. The deputy reported that he followed Moncel who swerved into the oncoming lane several times in a very short distance and didn’t go over 15 mph.
According to the complaint, Moncel drove along the ditch another 200 feet before stopping his vehicle.
The deputy reported that he smelled a strong odor of intoxicants when he spoke to Moncel through the open driver side window. He also reported that Moncel’s speech was thick and slurred and that his eyes were glossy and bloodshot.
According to the complaint, Moncel had an extremely hard time maintaining balance and had to lean against his vehicle to prevent falling over. Moncel refused to do any field sobriety tests.
The deputy reported that based on observations, he placed Moncel under arrest for his 4th OWI offense. Moncel had prior offenses on April 16, 2006, May 20, 1999 and Feb. 23, 1997.
Throughout the arrest, and being booked into the Sawyer County Jail, Moncel often refused to comply with the deputies orders, and, according to the complaint, he called the deputy names. Moncel had a .25 blood alcohol concentration when he took the breathalyzer test.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Why Choose Spooner & Hayward Physical Therapy and Wellness? It's as Easy as ABC
- Jury Trial Set for Hayward Man Charged in Prescription Drug Case
- (Video) Birkie International Bridge Will Span 4 Lanes Over Hwy 63 in Hayward
- Hayward Man Arrested for Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence, 5th Offense
- Hayward Woman Facing Charges of 4th Offense OWI With a Child in Vehicle
- Hayward Man Charged With Sexual Assault of Underage Child
- 2 Hayward Women Charged Following Alleged Burglary of LCO Convenience Store
- 3rd Annual Hockey Day this Saturday in Hayward
- Hayward Students Took Center Stage at Solo & Ensemble Presentation in Spooner
- Escape Charges Filed Against Hayward Man