Latest Trails Report and Fun Facts About Snowmobiling in Sawyer County
Latest trails report from the Sawyer County Snowmobile & ATV Alliance
Sawyer County trails are open with about a 2-6" base and in good condition! We did get about an inch of fresh snow on Tuesday night. Groomers are out and most lakes in the county are staked! Lake Hayward is currently not safe to stake yet but we will continue to update on the progress of that lake as well as the other four. Otherwise, all other lakes are staked and ready!
Looks like the weekend forecast will bring some temps above 0 which makes for great riding weather! A couple of trail closure and reroutes to update on. Trail 27/5 from the Tuscobia south to the Price County line is closed. And Trail 63 from Bodecker Rd (just north of Seeley) to a small portion of Trail 70 in Bayfield County just into the town of Cable is closed. The reroute for this is at Bodecker Rd take 111 to Trail 8 to get into the town of Cable. Trail 70 south east of Cable is open.
Bayfield County is open and reported to be in good condition. Price county is open and in fair condition. Douglas, Washburn and Ashland counties are partially opened. Rusk County is closed.
Thank you to all volunteers and club members! Thank you to all who choose Sawyer County as your riding destination! If you have fun riding photos you would like to share please do, we love seeing them!
And from the Hayward Lakes.com; Chelsea's Blog
Five Fun Facts about Snowmobiling in Sawyer County
- There are nearly 600 miles of impeccably marked groomed trails meander through the beautiful Chequamegon National Forest, across 17,000 acre Lake Chippewa Flowage and hundreds of other area lakes. You can ride forever. Our trails give access to over 4,000 miles of riding enjoyment in Northwestern, Wisconsin including the Tuscobia State Trail, Flambeau State Forest, Chequamagen National Forest, Sawyer County Forest and Lac Courte Oreilles Trails.
- Annual snowfall is about 60 inches, and the northwoods helps to hold this snow, providing a riding season that runs from mid December to mid March.
- Twenty-four hour grooming keeps the trails here in top shape. In fact, the Sawyer County Snowmobile Alliance is the world’s largest single owner of grooming equipment.
- North, South, East or West the trails lead in all directions in this scenic region offering unlimited choices. When staying in this area, snowmobiles are the only transportation you will need since almost everything is accessible via snowmobile. Excellent lodging with roaring fireplaces and great food can be found trailside throughout this region.
- ATV’s can also be used on most of the snowmobile trails. Check out our exciting winter events. The Hayward 300 snowmobile race is held on January 12-14th. The Great Northern Sno-X regional series will be held at Seven Winds Casino (formerly known as the LCO Casino).
The American Birkebeiner is a three day ski festival with events for every age and ability. More than 8500 skiers are expected to register for the annual event held February 24th, 2018. The challenging 51K Birkie race begins in Cable and ends on Main Street in Hayward.
The Fat Bike Birkie provides a one-day-a-year chance to ride your fat bike on the groomed, snow-covered American Birkebeiner Ski Trail! Fat bikes and mountain bikes are otherwise not allowed on the snow covered, groomed trail system because our priority is giving skiers the best possible experience all winter. This event is a one day exception to this rule and is for fat bikes only.
Relax by a favorite ice hole in a nearby lake, waiting for that “big one” to take your bait. We are the home of the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame fish museum. It is the landmark “Shrine to Anglers”, a structure one-half city block long and four and one-half stories tall. Made of concrete, steel and fiberglass, it was hand-sculpted into the likeness of a leaping muskellunge. The museum is closed until May, but you can still drive by and see the giant muskie.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: Brian Cole
- Important Reminders for Voters about the February 20 Spring Primary
- Winter Weather Advisory for Sawyer County
- Man Charged With Sexual Assault of Child Under 13 in Sawyer County
- Sawyer Co. ADA Aaron Marcoux 1 of 3 Finalists for Barron Co. DA Position
- 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: K9 Trace
- Marge Kelsey to Run for Sawyer County Clerk of Court
- Sawyer County Sheriff Department Warrant List - 2/8/18
- 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: John Yackel
- Sawyer County Snow Report