Miracle Ear Foundation gives Hayward man the gift of hearing
HAYWARD, WI - The Miracle Ear Foundation has donated 13,000 hearing aids to 7,500 children and adults nationwide.
KBJR 6 Chief Photojournalist Blake Melin takes us to Hayward, WI to show us one of these special moments just in time for Christmas.
At the Miracle Ear office in Hayward, James Carson is listening to the hearing instrument specialist read aloud from "The Rainbow Passage"--a public domain text that researchers typically use to compare the sounds of different dialects.
"A rainbow is a division of white light into many beautiful colors," recites Karen Kowalczyk, "these take the shape of a long round arch, with its path high above, and its two ends apparently beyond the horizon."
But it's not the passage itself that's got Carson hanging on every word. It's the fact he can hear it that makes him, at times, emotional.
"Well, for a while I knew I had some kind of hearing loss," says Carson, "and at the senior center they had a health fair. And so I thought I would go down and check it out, and I found out that my hearing (loss) was severe. The foundation is giving me two free pair of hearing aids," he adds, "and I am pretty stoked."
"So... he is going to hear very well for the first time in a very long time," says Kowalczyk.
Carson admits he's had to make some significant sacrifices due to his hearing loss.
"25 years, 25 years," repeats Carson, "I quit going to concerts 25 years ago. I'm 61."
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Why Choose Spooner & Hayward Physical Therapy and Wellness? It's as Easy as ABC
- (Video) Birkie International Bridge Will Span 4 Lanes Over Hwy 63 in Hayward
- Jury Trial Set for Hayward Man Charged in Prescription Drug Case
- Hayward Woman Facing Charges of 4th Offense OWI With a Child in Vehicle
- Hayward Man Arrested for Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence, 5th Offense
- Hayward Man Charged With Sexual Assault of Underage Child
- 2 Hayward Women Charged Following Alleged Burglary of LCO Convenience Store
- 3rd Annual Hockey Day this Saturday in Hayward
- Hayward Students Took Center Stage at Solo & Ensemble Presentation in Spooner
- Escape Charges Filed Against Hayward Man