Pistol Used in Assault Results in Conviction for Hayward Man
A Hayward man, Garrett Barthel, 23, was convicted in Sawyer County Circuit Court on three misdemeanor charges while a felony charge of being a party to an attempted armed robbery was dismissed and read in, as part of the plea agreement made on Jan. 23, 2018.
Barthel has been sentenced to 90 days in the county jail with credit for 68 days of time served on a disorderly conduct charge and to run consecutive to that sentence he received nine months in the county jail with the sentence stayed, with two years of probation, on charges of battery and criminal trespass. He has 49 days of credit for time served if he should be revoked of his probation.
Barthel is to have no contact with the two victims of his crimes, plus he was fined $579 for costs.
According to the criminal complaint, on April 14, 2017, at approximately 9:15 p.m., Barthel and another man, who was named in the complaint but will be withheld in this report because no Wisconsin CCAP charge in the case can be found in his name, came to a woman’s residence on Hwy K looking for a man who owed them money. The woman said he wasn’t there, and she thought they left. The man then went outside ten minutes later to have a cigarette, and Barthel and the other man were still parked in the driveway.
According to the complaint, they asked him for money he owed them. The victim told them he didn’t have any money. The victim didn’t want to talk with the police, so the woman told them her version of what had transpired. The woman said they threw the victim to the ground and hit him in the head with a pistol, and then pointed the pistol at him and repeatedly asked him for the money.
The woman said she then went into the garage and grabbed a crowbar and started hitting the men in their backs to get them to leave. She reported then that the victim ran into the house. The woman said Barthel then turned around and pointed a gun in her face and told her to back off while they were in the house.
Barthel and the other man followed the victim into the house and continued to fight inside, then the fight moved outside, at which time, Barthel and the other man left the property entirely, according to the complaint.
Both the victim and the woman told law enforcement they did not give the men permission to hit the victim, cause him pain, or enter the house.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Trial Scheduled for Man Charged with Repeated Sexual Assault of a Child
- Hayward Woman Facing Charges of 4th Offense OWI With a Child in Vehicle
- Hayward Man Arrested for Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence, 5th Offense
- Hayward Man Charged With Sexual Assault of Underage Child
- 2 Hayward Women Charged Following Alleged Burglary of LCO Convenience Store
- Search Warrant Results In Over 1,000 Grams of Marijuana Seized
- 3rd Annual Hockey Day this Saturday in Hayward
- Hayward Students Took Center Stage at Solo & Ensemble Presentation in Spooner
- Escape Charges Filed Against Hayward Man
- (VIDEO) Justin Timberlake Can't Stop the Feeling - Hayward, Wisconsin